Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WIP Wednesday - Tunisian Crochet Scarf

Hello everyone! I have falling in love with a new crochet technique this week! Yes, Tunisian Crochet has been my new passion these past few days. I was sparked by it when The Crochet Crowd uploaded a new Tunisian Crochet Series. It is a 10 part video tutorial and Mikey Sellick is a great instructor. If you are interested in a learning a new technique, I suggest checking out these tutorials.


I love how the yarn works up in such a great texture. This scarf can definitely be reversible because of the distinct stitching pattern on the right side/working side of the scarf and the soft look of the wrong side/opposite side of the scarf.

I am using Lion Brand Amazing yarn which is 53% wool and 47% acrylic. It is the Cactus Flower color scheme which is a gorgeous blend of bright magenta, mustard, deep orange, and dark brown. These colors to me represent Autumn! This yarn is a very light weight worsted at only 1.75 oz, so very breakable and hard to unravel back with if you make a stitch mistake. I know because I had to frog back about 4 rows when I realized I had dropped a couple of stitches, well the yarn broke and I could not unravel anymore. The scarf is now 22 stitches wide compared to 24 stitches when I began, but I figure it won't be noticeable once it is wrapped around your neck. :-)

This gorgeous scarf will be a set that accompanies a really cute piece of headwear. You will have to see the duo once the scarf is complete. ;-)

On a different note, the snow has melted that we received last week and the temperatures have been in the upper 60s. Yesterday, the hubby and I went on a short bike ride. The single tracks on the Park City Mountain Resort are covered in gorgeous fall leaves. I would have taken a few pics of them but once I am biking up these trails I do not want to jump off my bike plus all I had was my cell phone. But once we made it to McPolin Farm I did take a moment to capture a quick mountainside pic of the changing colors. It was taken with my phone so not a great as it could be, but I also read that if you want to take pictures of fall leaves you need to take them when there is a slight overcast to really pick up their vibrant colors. As you can see, it was a very sunny afternoon!

 

I hope you all have a great week! Take a moment and check out other great WIPs over at Tami's blog.


5 comments:

  1. I've never had a go at tunisian crochet but yours looks lovely. How does the speed compare to normal crochet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Evelyn! It is a slower process than regular crochet, but I am doing the double crochet stitch so it is faster than doing the simple or knit stitch. You can even do the triple crochet stitch and it goes even faster, but I didn't want to get too ahead of the learning curve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that link to the tutorials. Tunisian has been on my "bucket" list for a long time. Your scarf looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome!! Kim Guzman is also a very good instructor and has tutorial videos on her website. http://kimguzman.com/

      Delete
  4. That looks so nice! Creates a really cool effect with the stitches.

    ReplyDelete