Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WIP Wednesday - Still working with Tunisian Crochet

Happy Wednesday everyone!! I am still enjoying the Tunisian crochet technique. I started a new project that works with the Tunisian Knit and Purl stitches. The combination of stitches make a diamond pattern. This is a very intricate pattern where you must keep a good count of each stitch and row or it will turn out to be a disaster. I should know because I have already had to frog it twice so far! :( I did start out using a black yarn, but it was really hard to see the post that I needed to go into. I swapped it out to the ocean blue instead and it has been much easier to see.





I am going by the pattern Tunisian Knits and Purls are Diamond by Linda Rommerdahl. The pattern is written well in my opinion. I did re-format it so I would have each row written out. I like to be able to check off each row I have completed and the written pattern only goes to row 14 then tells you to repeat rows 4 - 14 until you reach desired length. A little copy and paste with some renumbering and I got myself a 3 page pattern! :-)

This will be a scarf once done, but will take awhile since I will need to do about 200 rows to make it the length I prefer.  I did modify row 2 and 3 from the Tunisian simple stitch to Tunisian double crochet stitch. I also found that if you do the first row in the spine of the chain stitch it doesn't roll up as much. The video below by The Crochet Crowd is a great tutorial on the different methods to begin your foundation row.


Enjoy the rest of your week! I am linking up with Tami's blog again this week. I am also linking up with Frontier Dreams. Take a moment and check out other WIPs.

9 comments:

  1. That diamond pattern is so pretty. I see now that I could never do crochet :( I would keep losing my place and forgetting to count, and oh, it would be a disaster for sure. I'll just have to keep enjoying yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is why I waited until my kids were so much older to get back into crocheting. They still like to interrupt me and all I say is "Counting!" They will sulk away until I am done. LOL! :)

      And I will enjoy all your wonderful embroidery since I am unable to figure it out myself! :)

      Delete
  2. I tried tunisian crochet a few years back and enjoyed it but haven't tried it since. Maybe it's time I pick it up again. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is time to pick it back up!! I think it is the closest I will ever get to knitting. :)

      Delete
  3. Tunisian crochet looks so nice. Interesting technique. I'm impressed eevry time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to learn Tunisian. I have been intrigued by it for sometime now but haven't moved forward in trying it. It intimidates me so that is my hold up. I just starting crocheting about a year ago after a close to 30 year hiatus from the art so I have watched a lot of Crochet Crowd videos to freshen up my skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a beginner with this technique, but I've come to really enjoy it. The Crochet Crowd has so many great tutorial videos and explain in a way that is easily understandable. Welcome back to crocheting!! :)

      Delete