Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Fence and Sod Project for Side Yard

 Covid really put me behind this Spring. I did not completely get all my weeding done until this past weekend. Yes, I spent the majority of my 4th of July vacation cleaning flowerbeds and planting up new beds.

During our Covid sickness, Keith decided to make a fence that blocks the dogs from one side of the yard. This is the side of the yard where I have my vegetable planters. We used leftover wood from the cat cage we had up in one of the rooms inside. Now that the cats are gone and with Jessica, we decided to upcycle all the wood. We also used cattle fencing instead of dog fencing. It makes the fence steadier and more eye-appealing.




We had some strips of the cattle fencing that we made into a cute archway. I then purchased some really adorable hanging planters off of Amazon and filled them with some really cute flowers. Next year we might work more towards a full vine that engulfs the arch, but this year we went more simple.

We added a couple of window box planters as well and Keith set up the sprinkling system to easily water the planters. It really cuts down on watering time with the way he has it all set up. He also installed some sun shades that go over the patio. It has made a huge difference this year so far.

We got very lucky this past week. We were heading home from Home Depot with a heavy load of pebble rocks to add as flooring to my greenhouse and freshen up the flowerbeds. We were going extra slow on the interstate due to the heavy load when we came across a lot of contractor sod on the side of the interstate. We pulled over and scavenged as much as we could. What a huge difference it makes compared to the previous pictures just having some great-looking grass down. We had that area heavily seeded and some of the grass was sprouting, but why wait when you can have it now and for free!!

I am loving my back patio this year so much. I sit out in the morning drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying the bees and butterflies. I am not sure if I will have any vegetables this season. We had a cold snap and I did not tent my planters. Hopefully, something produces. I do have some lettuce, so that is something.


No comments:

Post a Comment