Monday, July 11, 2022

Corner Garden Update

 I was not able to do much work in the gardens on Saturday. I spent most of the cool part of the day getting an oil change on my Element. Even with making an appointment, almost 3 hours of my day was spent going, waiting, and heading back home. So by the time I made it back home, I had some time to do some reassigning of plants to different areas of the garden. I was able to repot my okra and find a new home for my cucumber plant. 

Sunday I really worked on thinning out my iris at the corner of my porch. This was a transplant from another spot in the yard when we first moved in. It had taken over so much of that corner area of my front flowerbed and needed to be thinned out really badly.

This is a picture from last Spring/Early Summer. We had just finished updating the border and adding some pebbles to the beds. I think it was larger than this when I started thinning it out.

I filled a 5 gallon bucket with some water and began digging up parts of the iris. I replanted them in the corner garden with the hopes they eventually make a lovely border. My dream for this corner garden is to make it into a beautiful cottage garden. I am doing a lot of research on what perennials and annuals will go in what area of the garden. I might do some containers as well by the end of the season or have the ready to be placed in next spring. I want to be able to go into this little garden and just soak in the beauty of the sweet flowers. I have to really sun map this area soon in order to have a good plan set by next spring.


I had an extra 2 irisis that I had to just tuck into the bed where I think they might thrive.
I think the one between the two trees will do great there. I also repotted my Christmas cactus. I hope it does well hanging from the plum tree this Summer. It would be extra cool if it bloomed, but I won't hold my breath.

I had moved my poor zinnias that I got on clearance at Lowe's June 20th three times now. These poor guys were struggling to begin with and then the cold snap got them. I had them planted in my new flowerbed next to the side yard gate, but I think they were too shaded and getting too much water. I then moved them into the flower bed next to the patio and again they were being over watered. Those two beds are receiving a lot of water because of the new sod. I now have them in the corner garden nuzzled up against a rock feature. I sure hope they bloom one more time so I can scavage some seeds from them. We shall see.
They are looking pitiful. If you look closer, you can see my sunflowers sprouting along the fence line.

On a brighter note, my apple tree is loaded down. I sure hope the weather doesn't go south and destroy these tiny little guys. The picture does not give it true justice. The apples are so small and green the leaves take away from their little glory.



I hung the cutest windchime from one of the Apple Tree's branches. It is a good luck horseshoe chime. I am hoping it gives my sweet apple tree lots of luck so it can have a bountiful harvest!!


I have a couple of wisteria plants coming in this week. My plan is to make an arch at the gate entry with some of the leftover cattle fence. I will plant the wisteria on either side so it will eventually engulf the arch. The colors are deep pink (almost mauve) and white. The struggle right now is removing all the small stumps that are through out the corner bed. I tackled some while replanting the iris. It was mid-day and getting really hot when I got around to it. I have one stubborn stump in the left side entrance that I had to walk away from due to the heat and being tired from all the digging I had done that day. But I will conquer this stubborn stump!!


I know that our time is limited at this old homestead, but I just cannot do what I love. Even if I won't enjoy all the hard work we have put into the landscape, I sure hope the next renters can appreciate it. Who knows the owners might just rip everything up and completely do a redo in their ecstatic. But you know what, I don't care because I love what I have done so far and will enjoy every minute of it while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment