Monday, August 8, 2022

Garden Update

 My alyssum is still blooming so vibrantly right now. It is also in a couple of other flower beds around the back patio. I had not realized that the last wildflower mix I bought this year had sweet alyssum, baby's breath, and violas as part of the mixture. I am really thrilled with this combination!!

This is the small bed between the patio and greenhouse.

The zinnias I had purchased on June 20th were part of the many plants hit by the June 20th cold snap. I had planted them in the new front corner bed next to the garage. They were not receiving enough sun throughout the day. So I moved them to the patio flower bed. Because of the new sod, they were receiving too much water. I finally found them a place in the corner flower bed in the backyard. They were so pitiful by the time I had moved them. They like the corner flowerbed. I will plant more in that area next spring because it receives the right amount of sunlight and water. I am just thankful they snapped back and finally bloomed, and are loaded down with buds!!

This variety of zinnias are the small ones and produce a lot of tiny blossoms.
Next season I will have some tall and large bloom varieties.

Speaking of sod, my side yard is looking fantastic!! It is full of grass and I have had to mow it three times so far. I am just amazed with my side yard flowers and sod.

This is my happy place. I sit out on the patio and sometimes in the grass
admiring the view and all my flowers!!

I did some work on the entry area of the corner garden a couple of weekends ago. It was very difficult stepping over the ditch of rocks especially carrying a watering jug!! I added some soil to the entry ditch area and leveled out a few of the flatter rocks. Now it is so easy to walk right into the corner garden. I also placed my bench seat from the front porch into the garden. Once the heavy watering in the morning is over, I will be able to enjoy morning coffee in the corner garden.

My goal is to add an arch over the entry and then have a pebble walking path
to the bench and a side path to the right side of the garden.
Next season I am hoping this corner garden has a cottage garden vibe!!

I have been enjoying the backyard so much this summer that I haven't really sat out on the front porch much. This past weekend I did sit out on the front porch because I was heavily watering the back patio area. I had to take a few pictures of the planters and how they are doing. The planter next to the garage has just blown up!! There are actually a few lily plants in the center of all those petunias. The lilies just could not keep up with the petunias. I don't even think they will bloom this year.

I just love the view through the grass!!
Plus the dianthus that I planted in the
planter between the two ornamental grasses
has really thrived!! Loving the pop of pink!!

Every year since I have been doing up the blue planter on the front porch, there has been a plant that just dominates the container. This year it is the lime color sweet potato vine. This guy has gotten huge!!
Disregard Dixie's back end. There was
no way I was sitting on the front porch
without my porch pup!!

I am still tweaking different items throughout the yard. I worked on weeding and cleaning up a flower bed in the front corner of the front yard this weekend. I plan on planting some of the many tulip bulbs I have ordered that should arrive in mid-October. I also have some yarrow and a wildflower mixture that attracts hummingbirds and butterflies that I will plant around the old washing machine yard ornament in that area. Other than that it is just keeping everything watered during the hot part of summer. We will start cooling down soon and then it will be time to cut back some of the annuals. I did place a few mums out in some of the planters. I had a bunch of petunias that were eaten up with aphids. I removed them and sprayed the whole plant down with Neem oil. I planted them in the corner garden and placed a few mums in their place.


No comments:

Post a Comment