Friday, May 20, 2022

Crochet Clothing: How hard is it really?

 Although I have not picked up a crochet hook in nearly 2 years, I am interested in making a couple of tunic sweaters. Therefore, I have been perusing my typical multi-media platform: Pinterest. As a result, I have pinned quite a few free and purchasable patterns.

I believe the most significant thing about crocheting a sweater is going to be the correct type of yarn. I have been reading up on bamboo yarn and cotton/bamboo blend yarn as a great medium to use to get that desired draping effect.

I did start a crochet tank top back in June of 2016, but the yarn I was using ended up being discontinued, and I have yet to find a replacement that will match and drape as well as the yarn I was using. I really would love to be able to complete that project, but until I can find a yarn that will match, I don't see it happening.

This is as far as I have gotten on my Ventura Swing Tank Top. I had to stop because I ran out of that denim blue, and Cascade Yarns does not make the Sateen one anymore. The cool thing about this yarn is that it is acrylic. Yet, it has been discontinued, and every time I have tried to find a yarn that is compatible, the feel just does not compare. I might pull it back out and again look to see how much of the yarn I actually have. Maybe a bamboo yarn will match the texture and drape of the Sateen.

I believe the first crochet top I want to begin is this really cute summertime one made by HookedoPatterns on Etsy. This is made with 100% Cotton DK weight yarn. I think it will be a pretty simple pattern, but again, it is all about the right yarn. The pattern is also free on Hooked on Patterns blog at https://hookedonpatterns.com/crochet-blog/free-summer-top-crochet-pattern-aviva



We have a very cold snap happening in our neck of the woods. I have to mitigate some heat issues in my greenhouse after work today. 

Hope all have a great weekend. I have a lot on my list-to-dos and will be very busy over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment