Monday, April 8, 2013

Jessica Rose Afghan

Hello everyone. I worked on this afghan last year. I started off wanting to do a rose afghan in reminisce to the one my mother made 27 years ago for my grandmother. I loved watching her make each rose block and then create a beautiful afghan. Mine is different from hers to the fact that I did not make leaves in my blocks. I wish I had a picture of her rose afghan, but unfortunately it has been lost through out the years. It is only in my memories.

Rose Blocks
 
I chose to use Caron Simply Soft yarn in Ocean, Spring Brook, and Off White. The rose pattern is by Teresa Richardson called Crochet Loopy Granny Square and Flower. I am a big fan of Teresa Richardson's youtube tutorials. She speaks and crochets in a way that is easy to follow. So if you are thinking about taking up crocheting, I highly recommend watching her tutorials. The link I provided sends you to her written pattern with the youtube video tutorial.

When I began making this afghan, I was unsure on how to attach the three rows of flower blocks as the center portion of my afghan. Because I was pretty much coming up with the over all look on the fly, my flower blocks did not line up evenly.

I decided to crochet strips and then attach the rows of flower blocks.
It wasn't the most professional choice, but it got the job done.
 
 
 


The rows were just a double crochet stitch. When it was complete, I added a single crochet border of three rounds in the Ocean. I love the color combination. My daughter chose the colors since it was made for her, hence the name Jessica Rose Afghan. Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment