Thursday, September 29, 2022

Fall is in the Air!!

 We have been staying around the high 70s for the past couple of weeks. We are dropping into the low 60s during the day and high 30s at night starting tomorrow. Rain is coming as well. Fall is definitely in the air!! The apples are just about ready for picking. I was able to pick a container of plums before they passed their prime. 

Sunflowers are ready to be pulled. There are some blooms left but mainly droopy heads of sunflowers. I have over 60 bulbs to plant this weekend. I think I will cut back the iris and maybe the gladiolus too. I have three that are still in bloom, but after this weekend they will be spent. I want to get all the flower beds clean and weed-free before winter hits.

I  have one more mowing of the grass this weekend and then that should be it for the season. I will wait right before we head out on vacation in October to plant all the mums I have in containers into the ground. They might come back next year and might not. I am not too worried about it.

I did begin collecting some of the sunflower seeds. I have quite a bit just from three sunflower heads. I have a lot more to let dry out some more and then I will harvest the seeds. I will work on a head each night until they are done.

I am kinda relieved that we will be moving in July. It gives me the opportunity to enjoy the hiking and biking trails this spring and summer without worrying about plants so much. What survives next season survives. Wherever we land next year, I will set up a really good irrigation system so watering plants doesn't become an obsession again.

One thing I will keep in my landscape wherever we may end up is definitely sweet alyssum. I cut back this hedge of alyssum either late July or early August and it has flushed back even better!!




I have really enjoyed the little flower bed between the patio and greenhouse. The black-eyed Susans, alyssum, violas, and babies' breath are even more vibrant this late in September.


Everything else is going good. I finally got my resume written and uploaded to a few job search sites. I will hit it hard after vacation. I am looking forward to a new avenue in my career. Its scary but exciting at the same time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment