Friday, July 29, 2022

Alyssum - My new favorite ground cover plant!!

 I can say that this year I tested out growing from seed Alyssum. I am just in love with it!! I will definitely be using it in other areas of my yard. I am trying to get a great ground cover without having to resort to pebbles or mulch. For one, pebbles are expensive and a pain to weed. Mulch just flies away once we have our windy seasons in Spring and Fall. Then it becomes so ugly after the snow has been on it for 3 to 4 months. 

I am really hoping that the alyssum will be the ground coverage for my flower beds that do not have any pebbles or mulch in them. Which is really my corner garden and a front flowerbed that I have to tackle soon. The front flower bed has a lot of pretty daffodils that sprout and bloom in the Spring, but once they die down the weeds take it over. I plan on cleaning it up these next couple of weekends. I have some tulips and daffodil bulbs coming in September and October. I plan to put them in this flower bed and transplant some of my peonies. I have one peony that has to be thinned out so badly. It is taking up most of my flower bed next to the garage. My plan is to thin it out and place some of it in the front flower bed next to the road along with the tulip and daffodil bulbs in October.

But back to my alyssum trial. The seeds germinated and really took over the small flower bed next to the shed and back patio. I had also planted some shasta daisy seeds, but they did not germinate for me. The alyssum looks so awesome mixed in with the different stone textures. The thing about alyssum is that it also comes in pretty shades of pink and purple. I will add those colors next season into my plantings!!

I did seed some next to the greenhouse too. I had an unexpected surprise sprout up with the alyssum, some cute self-seeded pansies!!

I am still loving all my flowers and still experimenting with different areas of the flower beds. I am so looking forward to next season when I will finally have all the flower beds exactly the way I want them!!

I love how it is over-spilling onto the patio!!

Sweet little pop of color from the pansies.
I cannot wait until the wildflowers finally bloom!!


No comments:

Post a Comment